ROOFING TIPS: REROOFING AND FIND THE RIGHT CERTIFIED ROOFER
When it comes to the safety of your home, your roof plays a big role. Although a roof replacement can be expensive, it can also make a significant improvement to your home’s performance, efficiency and appearance.
MATERIALS TO CONSIDER:
- When considering Steel and Metal roofing for your roof replacement:
- Compared to tiles, metal roofing offers design flexibility, durability, and ease of installation.
- Metal roofing is the best option when the pitch (slope) of the roof is less than fifteen degrees from horizontal.
- Metal roofs are available in a huge variety of custom shapes, designs and varieties, which include the use of copper, aluminium and high grade steel.
- A Colorbond roof is perfect for the harsh Australian climate:
- Safer against bushfires as it’s non-combustible.
- Lightweight as a Colorbond roof about a tenth as heavy as concrete tiles.
- When considering Concrete tiles for your roof replacement:
- Concrete tiles are stronger and more colour-fast than previously and as much as 25-30% cheaper than their terracotta equivalents. They also offer a wider selection of colours and profiles.
- This type of roofing material is an excellent choice for imitating wood, slate and clay. Many varieties of concrete tiles are very easy to install, and they also come with limited lifetime warranties.
- Concrete tiles do require annual or bi-annual checks for loose or cracked tiles. Moreover, unlike slate tiles, these are quite affordable, although weight-related shipping expenses may occur.
- When considering Terracotta tiles for your roof replacement:
- They have a reputation for their long-life qualities, and are traditional favourites.
- They can last for up 50-100 years, depending on the quality of the material used.
- Made from pulverized clay and water, these roofing materials can be quite heavy. However, they are also energy resistant and non-combustible.
- Due to these advantages and their remarkably rich colour choices, slate tiles can be somewhat pricey, although they are still a rather affordable alternative to slate tiles.
TIPS ON FINDING THE RIGHT ROOFER:
- Be sure to ask for the following before any work or payment begins:
- Roofing contractor’s state license.
- Ask if they carry adequate roofing insurance.
- Ask if the roofer or a roofing sub-contractor will actually do the work.
- Ask for a written estimate with start and completion dates, materials to be used, workmanship guarantees, material guarantees, and cleanup expectations
- Ask for details on the warranty they will provide.
- Ask for proof or references that your roofing contractor is an expert in installing or repairing your particular roofing material.
For more information on reroofing, check out our article on Things to consider when Reroofing your home.
Is your roof due for a replacement? Do you have any reroofing enquiries? If you’re currently looking for professional Brisbane roofing company, contact us online or call us on (07) 3823 6888.